Whitney Laboratory for Marine Bioscience
University of Florida
9505 Ocean Shore Blvd
St. Augustine, FL 32080
-- Watch me talk about my research and life as a postdoc as a keynote speaker for the 2015 LSU Summer Undergraduate Research Forum
-- Listen to a KLSU Radio Benchtop Talks podcast about my research in the Kelly Lab at LSU
DOWNLOAD MY CV HERE
Postdoctoral Scholar, Whitney Laboratory for Marine Bioscience, University of Florida
Supervisor: Joseph F. Ryan (September 2016 – present) http://ryanlab.whitney.ufl.edu/
PhD (2014) Biological Sciences, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA
Advisor: Michael E. Hellberg
Recipient of a Louisiana Board of Regents fellowship (2008-2012)
MSc (2008) Marine Biology, Nova Southeastern University, Fort Lauderdale, FL
Advisor: Mahmood S. Shivji
BSc (2003) Biology (minor in History), Indiana University, Bloomington, IN
Postdoctoral Scholar (2014-2016) Phenotypic and transcriptomic responses to biotic and abiotic stressors in marine invertebrates. Louisiana State University. Supervisor: Morgan W. Kelly
Doctoral Student (2008-2014) Model-based tests of historical demography and species delimitation in a coral reef sponge genus. Louisiana State University.
Masters Student (2004-2008) Conservation genetics and phylogeography of marine invertebrates. National Coral Reef Institute and Guy Harvey Research Institute, Nova Southeastern University.
Graduate Internship (2003-2004). Acoustic monitoring of estuarine habitat use by juvenile sharks and effects of environmental pollutants on reproduction and development in elasmobranchs. Mote Marine Lab Center for Shark Research, Sarasota, FL. Advisors: Michelle R. Heupel and James J. Gelsleichter
20. DeBiasse MB, Colgan, W*, Davidson B, JF Ryan (accepted) Inferring tunicate relationships and the evolution of the tunicate Hox cluster with the genome of Corella inflata. Genome Biology and Evolution. *Undergraduate author.
19. Dardaillon J, Dauga D, Simion P, Onuma T, DeBiasse MB, Louis A, Naville M, Besnardeau L, Reeves W, Wang Kai, Fagotto M, Guéroult-Bellone M, Fujiwara S, Dumollard R, Veeman M, Volff J, Roest Crollius H, Douzery E, Ryan JF, Davidson B, NISHIDA, Dantec C, Lemaire P (2019) ANISEED 2019: 4D exploration of genetic data for an extended range of tunicates. Nucleic Acids Research.
18. Colgan W*, Leanza A, Hwang A, DeBiasse MB, Llosa I*, Rodrigues D*, Adhikari H*, Barreto Corona G*, Bock S*, Carillo-Perez A*, Currie M*, Darkoa-Larbi S, Dellal D, Gutow H*, Hokama P*, Kibby E*, Linhart N*, Moody S*, Naganuma A*, Nguyen D, Stanton R*, Stark S, Tumey C*, Velleca A, Vu, N*, Ryan JF, Davidson B (2019) Variable levels of drift in tunicate cardiopharyngeal gene regulatory elements. EvoDevo, 10. *Undergraduate authors
17. Pastrana CC*#, DeBiasse MB#, Ryan JF (2019) Sponges lack Parahox genes. Genome Biology and
Evolution, 11, 1250–1257. *Undergraduate author, #Authors contributed equally
16. Richards VP, DeBiasse MB, Shivji MS (2019) Deep mitochondrial lineage divergence among
populations of the southern stingray (Hypanus americana) throughout the Southeastern United States and Caribbean. Marine Biodiversity, 49, 1627-1634.
15. DeBiasse MB, Ryan JF (2019) Phylotocol: promoting transparency and overcoming bias in phylogenetics. Systematic Biology, 68, 672-678.
14. Ketchum R, DeBiasse MB, Ryan JF, Burt J, Reitzel A (2018) The complete mitochondrial genome of the sea urchin Echinometra sp. EZ. Mitochondrial DNA Part B: Resources, 3, 1225-1227.
13. Babonis LS, DeBiasse MB, Francis WR, Christianson LM, Haddock SHD, Martindale MQ, Ryan JF (2018) Integrating embryonic development and evolutionary history to characterize tentacle-specific cell types in a ctenophore. Molecular Biology and Evolution, 35, 2940-2956.
12. Rivest EB, Kelly MW, DeBiasse MB, Hofmann GE (2018) Host and symbionts in Pocillopora damicornis larvae display different transcriptomic responses to ocean acidification. Frontiers in Marine Science.
11. DeBiasse MB, Kawji Y*, Kelly MW (2018) Parallel phenotypic and transcriptomic response to salinity stress across Tigriopus californicus populations separated by 1000 kilometers. Molecular Ecology *Undergraduate author
10. Kelly MW, DeBiasse MB, Villela V*, Roberts H*, Cecola C* (2016) Adaptation to climate change:
trade-offs among responses to multiple stressors. Evolutionary Applications, 9, 1147–1155 *Undergraduate authors
9. Kelly MW, Pankey MS, DeBiasse MB, Plachetzki DC (2016) Adaptation to heat stress reduces phenotypic and gene expression plasticity in a marine copepod. Functional Ecology, 31, 398-406
8. DeBiasse MB, Richards VP, Shivji MS, Hellberg MH (2016) Shared phylogeographic breaks in a Caribbean coral reef sponge and its invertebrate commensals. Journal of Biogeography, 43, 2136-2146
7. Brzeski KE, DeBiasse MB, Rabon Jr. DR, Chamberlain MJ, Taylor SS (2016) Mitochondrial DNA variation in Southeastern pre-Columbian canids. Journal of Heredity, 107, 287-293.
6. DeBiasse MB, Kelly MW (2016) Plastic and adaptive responses to global change: what can we learn from comparative transcriptomics? Journal of Heredity, 107, 71-81.
5. DeBiasse MB, Hellberg MH (2015) Discordance between morphological and molecular species boundaries among Caribbean species of the reef sponge Callyspongia. Ecology and Evolution, 5, 663-675
4. Richards VP, DeBiasse MB, Shivji MS (2015) Genetic evidence supports larval retention in the Western Caribbean for an invertebrate with high dispersal capability (Ophiothrix suensonii: Echinodermata, Ophiuroidea). Coral Reefs, 34, 313-325
3. Prada C, DeBiasse MB, Neigel JE, Yedock B, Stake J, Forsman ZH, Baums IB, Hellberg ME (2014) Genetic species delineation among branching Caribbean Porites corals. Coral Reefs, 33, 1019-1030
2. DeBiasse MB, Nelson BJ, Hellberg ME (2014). Evaluating summary statistics used to test for incomplete lineage sorting: mito-nuclear discordance in the reef sponge Callyspongia vaginalis. Molecular Ecology, 23, 225-238
1. DeBiasse MB, Richards VP, Shivji MS (2010) Genetic assessment of connectivity in the common reef sponge, Callyspongia vaginalis (Demospongiae: Haplosclerida) reveals high population structure along the Florida reef tract. Coral Reefs, 29, 47-55
In Review and Near Submission
Ketchum RN, Smith EG, DeBiasse MB, Vaughan GO, McPharland D, Leach WB, Al-Mansoori N, Ryan JF, Burt JA, Reitzel AM
(in review) Population genomic analyses of the sea urchin Echinometra sp. EZ across an extreme environmental gradient.
DeBiasse MB, Stubler AS, Kelly MW (in prep) Testing the effect of ocean acidification on a sponge-coral species interaction.
DeBiasse MB, Babonis LS, Koren S, Schnitzler CE, Martindale MQ, Ryan JF (in prep) The genome sequence of Beroe ovata, an ecologically and morphologically divergent pelagic ctenophore.
Ortiz J*, DeBiasse MB, Ryan JF (in prep) Evolutionary history of an ancient innexin gene cluster in ctenophores. *Undergraduate author
Guest Lecturer, Biology for non-majors (Spring 2019) Dept. of Biology, Flagler College
Topic: species concepts and speciation.
Guest Lecturer, Evolution (Spring 2016) Dept. of Biological Sciences, Louisiana State University
Topic: species and speciation.
Guest Lecturer, Evolution (Fall 2015) Dept. of Biological Sciences, Louisiana State University
Topic: molecular phylogenetics and evolution.
Guest Lecturer, Evolution (Spring 2015) Dept. of Biological Sciences, Louisiana State University
Topic: molecular methods of species delimitation.
Guest Lecturer, Evolution (Spring 2014) Dept. of Biological Sciences, Louisiana State University
Topic: species and speciation.
Teaching Assistant, Invertebrate Zoology Laboratory (Fall 2013) Dept. of Biological Sciences,
Louisiana State University. Lead laboratories involving observation of live invertebrates. Organized an outreach event at a
local elementary school
Teaching Assistant, Introductory Biology Laboratory (Fall 2012, Spring 2013, Spring 2014) Dept. of
Biological Sciences, Louisiana State University. Lead laboratories covering topics ranging from
photosynthesis and respiration to evolution and biodiversity.
Teaching Assistant, Genetics Laboratory (Fall 2005-Spring 2008) Division of Math, Science, and
Technology, Nova Southeastern University. Lead laboratories covering topics ranging from
DNA extraction and sequencing to bioinformatics and phylogenetic methods.
2019 Jennifer Ortiz Undergraduate Iowa State University/REU
2018 Telissa Wilson Graduate Student The Evergreen State College
2018 Remi Ketchum Graduate Student UNC Charlotte
2018 Ariane Buckenmeyer Undergraduate Connecticut College/REU
2017 Michelle McGurr High School teacher Darnell-Cookman High School
2017 Aaron Szczepanek Post-baccalaureate UF Whitney Laboratory
2017 Claudia Cabrera Undergraduate University of Miami/REU
2017 Logan Campbell Undergraduate University of Tennessee/REU
2015-2016 Daniel Liu Undergraduate Louisiana State University
2015-2016 Colleen Cecola Undergraduate Louisiana State University
2015-2016 Vidal Villela Undergraduate Louisiana State University
2015-2016 Hope Roberts Undergraduate Louisiana State University
2014-2016 Will Murdock Undergraduate Louisiana State University
2014 Byanjana Thapa Undergraduate Fairleigh Dickenson/HHMI
2014 Brandon Lawson Undergraduate Louisiana State University
2014 Elliot Wheeler Undergraduate Louisiana State University
2013-2015 Chelsea Wallace High School LSU EnvironMentors
2013 Jamie Gay Undergraduate University of Colorado/STRI
2013 Sarah White Undergraduate University of Colorado/STRI
2010 Catalina Restrepo Undergraduate Louisiana State University
2010 Maria Costantini Undergraduate Rowan University/HHMI
2010 Maxine Tan Undergraduate Eckerd College/HHMI
Grants and Awards
2014 American Genetics Association Ecological Genomics Symposium Travel Award $500
2013, 2014 Molecular Ecology Best Reviewer
2013 Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute Short Term Fellowship, “The effects of climate change and species interaction on calcification in the reef building coral Porites furcata,” $2,400
2013 Sigma Xi Grant-in-Aid of Research Award, National Chapter, $500
2012 Sigma Xi Grant-in-Aid of Research Award, Louisiana State University Chapter, $500
2012 Lerner Gray Grant for Marine Research, $1,990
2010 Best Oral Presentation, Louisiana State University Biology Graduate Student Symposium
2009 Research Award, Louisiana State University Biology Graduate Student Association, $600
2008-2012 Louisiana Board of Regents Fellowship $80,000
Proposals Not Funded
2018 NOAA Saltonstall-Kennedy Grant. Understanding the impacts of cultivation environment on health and productivity in shellfish aquaculture and restoration programs. Budget $300,000.00
2017 National Science Foundation Division of Environmental Biology. Towards a comprehensive phylogeny of Staurozoa: Evolutionary insights on a unique life history and morphology.
Boring sponges and glowing ctenophores: using genomes to understand how marine invertebrates respond to their environment within minutes & over millions of years. Occidental College Biology Department Seminar Series, April 2019
Phylotocol presented as part of the Data Standards and Community Resources Forum, Society of Systematic Biologist Meeting, Columbus, OH, June 2018
What to do with a billion years of evolution. Species Tree Estimation Workshop, Society of Systematic Biologists Meeting, Columbus, OH, June 2018
Detecting convergent sequence evolution using parametric bootstrapping. NGS Polar Organism Workshop, SICB, San Francisco, CA, January 2018
Adaptation to the deep sea in ctenophores, the comb jellies. Daytona State College, Daytona Beach, FL, November 2017
Model-based tests of historical demography and species boundaries in the reef sponge Callyspongia. Department of Biology, University of Florida, April 2017
DEEPC: The deep, dark genomic secrets of ctenophores. Florida Museum of Natural History, University of Florida, April 2017
Patterns of genomic and phenotypic variation over evolutionary and ecological timescales in marine invertebrates. Department of Biology, University of North Florida, November 2015
Patterns of genomic and phenotypic variation over evolutionary and ecological timescales in marine invertebrates. Department of Evolution, Ecology and Organismal Biology Seminar Series, The Ohio State University, October 2015
Genomic basis of salinity tolerance in Tigriopus copepods. Louisiana State University Museum of Natural Science Seminar Series, Louisiana State University, September 2015
Using transcriptomic data to test biotic and abiotic interactions in marine invertebrates. Keynote speaker for Summer Undergraduate Research Symposium, Louisiana State University, July 2015. Watch my presentation here: http://bit.ly/1GFNcBY
DeBiasse MB, Colgan W, Harris L, Davidson B, Ryan JF (2019) The Corella inflata genome: reconstructing the ancestral enterogonid tunicate. Evolution, Providence, Rhode Island
DeBiasse MB, Babonis L, Schnitzler C, Koren S, Martindale MQ, Ryan JF (2019) The complete genome sequence of Beroe ovata, a tentacle-less, ctenophore-chomping ctenophore. Society for Comparative and Integrative Biology, Tampa, FL
DeBiasse MB, Francis W, Thuesen E, Haddock S, Ryan J (2018) DEEPC: adaptation to depth in
ctenophores. Society for Comparative and Integrative Biology, San Francisco, CA
DeBiasse MB, Francis W, Thuesen E, Haddock S, Ryan J (2017) DEEPC: The deep, dark genomic secrets of ctenophores. BioGenomics, Washington, DC
DeBiasse MB, Stubler AS, Kelly MW (2017) Testing the effect of ocean acidification on a sponge-coral species interaction. Society for Comparative and Integrative Biology, New Orleans, LA
DeBiasse MB, Kelly, MW (2016) Intraspecific variation in phenotypic and transcriptomic plasticity in Tigriopus californicus in response to salinity stress. Evolution, Austin, Texas
DeBiasse MB, Hellberg ME (2015) Discordance between morphological and molecular species boundaries in the sponge genus Callyspongia. Society for Systematic Biologists Meeting, Ann Arbor, Michigan
DeBiasse MB, Kelly MW (2014) The genomic basis of adaptation to salinity in the tide pool copepod Tigriopus californicus. American Genetics Association Ecological Genomics Symposium, Kansas City, Missouri
DeBiasse MB, Hellberg ME (2012) Mitochondrial and nuclear gene sequences show conflicting patterns of genetic structure in the coral reef sponge Callyspongia vaginalis. Evolution, Ottawa, Canada
DeBiasse MB, Hellberg ME (2010) Mitochondrial and nuclear gene sequences show conflicting patterns of divergence among putative cryptic species in the marine sponge Callyspongia vaginalis. World Sponge Conference, Girona, Spain
DeBiasse MB, Richards VP, Shivji MS (2008) Genetic connectivity in the branching vase sponge (Callyspongia vaginalis) across the Florida reef tract and Caribbean. 11th International Coral Reef Symposium, Fort Lauderdale, Florida
DeBiasse MB, Richards VP, Shivji MS (2007) Genetic assessment of connectivity among populations of the branching vase sponge (Callyspongia vaginalis) in the Florida reef tract reveals a strong phylogeographic break at the Middle Keys. Florida Ecology and Evolution Symposium, Lake Placid, Florida
December 2016 Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute research cruise on the RV Western Flyer. Assisted in the collection of pelagic invertebrates using blue water diving, mid-water trawls, and the ROV Doc Ricketts.
June-August 2013 Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute, Bocas del Toro, Panama. Performed long-term experiments to test the effect of ocean acidification on a sponge/coral species interaction. Project included sample collection and construction and maintenance of 180 mesocosm tanks.
May 2007 Dry Tortugas National Park. Organized and led a 7-day dive trip to sample sponges and brittle stars for phylogeography research.
May 2006 Utila, Bay Islands, Honduras. Organized a 7-day dive trip to collect sponge and coral samples for phylogeography research.
March 2006 Crooked Island, Bahamas. Organized a five-day dive trip to collect coral reef invertebrate samples for phylogeography research.
December 2003 Tampa, Florida. Participated in five-day research cruise for a mark-recapture project focusing on sharks from the Gulf of Mexico.
Evolutionary Genomics of Non-Model Species: Next Generation Sequencing, Data Management,
and Hypothesis Testing. Sponsored by the American Genetics Association. Irapuato, Mexico, 2011
NSF AToL: Taxonomy, Systematics, and Ecology of Sponges. Smithsonian Tropical Research
Institute, Bocas del Toro, Panama, 2010
Awards Committee, Society of Systematic Biologists, 2019
Reviewer for Society of Systematic Biologists graduate student grant proposals, 2018-2019
Whitney Research Seminar coordinator, 2017-2019
Darwin Week outreach at local elementary and high schools, Northeastern FL, 2017-2019
Instructor for biotechnology lab outreach, Pedro Menendez High School, St. Augustine, FL, 2017-2019
Ad hoc reviewer for NSF Division of Environmental Biology, 2016
Contributor to The Molecular Ecologist blog, 2014-2016
Founder of LSU Women in Science organization, 2014
Mentor for Louisiana State University Chapter of EnvironMentors, 2012-2015
Mentor for undergraduate Howard Hughes Medical Institute interns, Summers 2009, 2014
Mentor for LSU Upward Bound, Spring 2014
Graduate Student Rep for LSU Computational Biology faculty position search committee, 2014
Graduate Student Rep for LSU Aquatic Ecology faculty position search committee, 2013
Exhibitor for Louisiana State Sea Grant program Ocean Commotion, 2008-2016
Reviewer for Nature Climate Change, Molecular Ecology, Evolution, Genome Biology and Evolution, Heredity, BMC Evolutionary Biology, BMC Genomics, Integrative and Comparative Biology, Journal of Biogeography, Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology, Coral Reefs, Marine Biology, Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom, Aquatic Biology, PLOS ONE, Peer J, Scientific Reports, Biodiversity and Conservation